Has anyone else been feeling a bit...stuck, lately?
When I first learned we were going into lockdown I figured this would be a really good time to be productive. I even created a list on my phone called "Quarantine Activities" so I could remember everything I wanted to do. (I'm a big fan of making lists.)
I had lots of big ideas:
- get back into blogging regularly
- start working again on my other writing projects
- read a ton, start catching up on my 2020 reading goals
- start practicing French again
- play tons of Dominion (my favorite game) with Joel
- meditate regularly
- do more yoga and other workouts besides walking
However, here's what I've actually managed to do under quarantine:
- binge-watch 9+ seasons of Doctor Who (We've even gone back to season 1 of the 1963 show! I am planning a whole blog post on my new Who obsession.)
- download multiple books from the library to my Kindle and keep them way past the return date because I haven't gotten around to reading them but I did figure out if I keep my Kindle in airplane mode they don't get taken away from me
- set up a game of Dominion that has now sat untouched on the coffee table for 3+ weeks
- scroll through Facebook and Instagram incessantly even when they start showing me things I've already seen
- re-watch movies I've already seen as my attention span is too low for anything new
- download a French podcast but not listen to it
- order a dozen bottles of wine online for delivery (don't worry, that will last me a long time! lol)
I have managed to keep up with my part-time actual job - I go into the church three days a week to work with the food bank and I've been editing all of our worship videos, creating and maintaining a YouTube channel, and running other social media. So my paralysis hasn't extended to where I really absolutely have to be productive. But it has struck hard in my personal time. I can sit there knowing what I would rather be doing (reading, writing, playing a game, etc.) but I just can't bring myself to do anything other than scroll on my phone.
I've seen a lot of articles about how the stress of the pandemic is affecting people and that this feeling of being stuck/unproductive/whatever is a pretty normal response. That is comforting. So I guess I'm just writing this to say, if you are feeling the same way, you are not alone.
I feel like I'm slowly starting to come out of the fog. This is my second blog post this week and I finally have ideas for more! (I didn't write any for quite a while because I literally couldn't think of anything to write about...) I have managed to finish a few books and am currently reading some that aren't just easy mysteries though it's still taking me quite a bit longer to read than it normally would and I find myself taking a lot of breaks to think in ways that I didn't have to before.
So how have you been doing in quarantine? Accomplishing all your goals? Accomplishing nothing but sitting on the couch? Some mix of both? I'd love to hear!